Warren Block wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Warren Block wrote:

My data backups to DVD use mkisofs to build ISO9660 DVDs like so:

mkisofs -J -joliet-long -r -hide-rr-moved -graft-points dir1 dir2 dir3

and then piped into cdrecord. However, I found a problem with one file that casts some doubt on the whole process. The file is named img_0185-6x4crop.jpg and is 3,309,906 bytes. On the hard drive, it reads fine.

The filename is present on the DVD, but the file always gives a read error:

# file img_0185-6x4crop.jpg
img_0185-6x4crop.jpg: ERROR: cannot read `img_0185-6x4crop.jpg' (Input/output error)

It's not a one-time error; every DVD always has the same problem. What is going wrong? A poison filename?

Following up: growisofs with the same parameters has no problems with that file.

Aloha Warren,

Manolis Kiagias pointed me to growisofs a while ago and I have had no problems making dvd's since from the command line.

  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
  + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
  < email: n...@hdk5.net >