On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Nerius Landys wrote:

My question is, what is the recommended procedure of taking a full
backup on a live system?  Ideally, if my hard drive were to crash, I
would like to have such a backup so as to make it possible to copy
over the entire backup to a new identical harddrive without doing any
reinstall or configuration.  Should I use tar/gzip?  dump?  What exact
command should I use?

dump(8) with the -L option will take a snapshot of a live filesystem and then back that up.