> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:07:25 -0400
> From: PJ <af.gour...@videotron.ca>
> Subject: Re: I hate to bitch but bitch I must
> To: Polytropon <free...@edvax.de>
> Cc: Steve Bertrand <st...@ibctech.ca>,
> "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org"
>     <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
>
> Polytropon wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 21:29:04 -0400, PJ <af.gour...@videotron.ca>
> wrote:
> >
> >> It is simple to understand Emglish but not so
> simple what was meant by
> >> whoever wrote it...I cannot correct something that
> I do not uderstand...
> >> come on, man, that should be easy to understand.
> >>

> > As English is not my native language, I *now*
> understand the
> > meaning of "it should"; in this case, it seems to mean
> something
> > like "basically, it is supposed to, but in this case,
> it does
> > not", regarding the desired action.
> >

> To be as precise as possible, it means normally it should
> work so go
> ahead; then the question is - what do you mean by
> normally.

You made the blunder of using the word "should" in your definition of "should"
:)

> In our case above, the instructions were to do the
> operation with the
> disk not in use and the os in SUM. That's very clear. Now,
> I f they
> wanted to point out a bug, the bug means that there is an
> anomaly under
> certain circumstances - and in this case there really is no
> bug as it is
> very clear as to how the instructions should be used. If
> they consider
> the operation under a live files system a bug, then they
> should just
> make a warning and say something along the lines of "do not
> use on live
> system as that may destroy data" or something to that
> effect.

As others have mentioned, context is important. Somebody even suggested a
re-wording dropping the word "should."

If there was a risk of data-loss, (somebody noted the program refuses to touch
a live filesystem,) the bugs section would have read something more like:
(Program) SHOULD NOT try writing to a live file-system.

That is to say, the word "should" in a "Bugs" section implies a wish-list item.
Meaning: it is technically possible, but the maintainers have not done the
necessary (possibly tedious) work yet.

Regards,

James Phillips