Peter Elsner wrote:
Try CTRL-J (3 times)
type: stty sane hit CTRL-J again...

DO NOT HIT ENTER on any of these..

That should release it...

Would that be from the console or from any terminal?

I have experienced situations where the HylaFAX faxgetty process hangs beyond all efforts to restart it. Usually a "kill -HUP 1 <PID>" would suffice but sometimes it freezes completely.

How can I fix this without rebooting which is rather difficult as same machine is our smb-server?

4.7-RELEASE, hylafax 4.1.5, /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty /dev/cuaa0