Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am working with gnu tar checkpoints this morning can cannot seem to get variables to expand properly when they are passed as part of a checkpoint action. Following is how I am using gnu tar

DIR="/home/test"
WHATTOBACKUP="/home/somedir"

/usr/local/gtar-1.22/bin/tar -cf - ${WHATTOBACKUP} \
--checkpoint-action='echo=Checkpoint #%u' --checkpoint-action='exec=/ usr/local/scripts/check_disk_usage.sh ${DIR}'

When I use ${DIR} as a parameter, it is not sent to the check_disk_usage_script. However, if I replace ${DIR} with /home/ test, everything works fine.

Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay