On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:29, alexbestms@ wrote:
Olivier Nicole schrieb am 2009-10-27:
Hi,

i've added the following line to my /etc/hosts:

permail.uni-muenster.de:25      permail.uni-muenster.de:443

so what i want is for freebsd to never use http, but https for that
address.
unfortunately hosts doesn't seem to support this syntax.

De3finitely not. man hosts to see the syntax and meaning of the
/etc/hosts file.

any advice on how to do this?

I am not sure what you want to do. You want to install a web server
that only serves https? then you configure your web server to only
serve https, in Apache configuration you would only have a
<VirtualHost: permail.uni-muenster.de:443>
and none with port 80.

Best regards,

Olivier

sorry if i didn't specify my problem in detail.

i'm not using a webserver or anything. i'm just a regular user. the point is:
i often forget to specify https://... for that specific address in apps like
lynx or firefox. that's why the non-ssl version of that site is being loaded.
i'd like freebsd to take care of this so even if the app is trying to access
the non-ssl version it should in fact be redirected to the ssl version by
freebsd.

cheers.
alex

Add some shell aliases to your shells rc's.

Bourne style shells:

alias your_name="lynx https://sub.domain.tld/";

Ill leave the c style shell syntax for you to figure out.

Now as long as you can remember your_name then you shouldn't have to much of a problem. ;)

Best regards,
PC Pro Sch00lz

--

 ;; dataix.net!jhell         2048R/89D8547E 2009-09-30
 ;; BSD since FreeBSD 4.2    Linux since Slackware 2.1