I would like to:

- upgrade the built-in OpenSSL that comes with FreeBSD (in my case, 6.4-RELEASE)

- replace it with OpenSSL that I build myself from the source tarball

If I do this with a plain old:  ./config ; make ; make install

OpenSSL does indeed build and install, but it installs in an alternate location
and does not overwrite the FreeBSD built-in.

Ok, should be easy to fix - I will simply use an:

--prefix

config directive and point it to /usr:

--prefix=/usr

However, that does not work - running:

/usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl version

shows me that this binary has not changed.  Ok, no problem, I will simply use:

--prefix=/usr/local

instead ... but that also does not work.

No matter what I do, I cannot get the OpenSSL source tarball to overwrite my
built-in OpenSSL in FreeBSD - I always end up having two binaries in two
different locations.

Can someone tell me how to just cleanly replace the built-in OpenSSL with the
source tarball ?

Thanks.