On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 02:09:50PM +0200, Ross Cameron wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 6:00 AM, Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:

> > > This:
> > >
> > > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/8.0/
> > >
> > > is indeed 64bit.
> >

> >         Yes! but i bought the *Intel* 2-duo-core or whatever; not the
> >        AMD (aDvanced micro Devices) chip.  Are these both bit by bit
> >        == ??  i mean, exactly--software-wise, the same??
> >
> >        thanks.
> >
> >        gary
> >
> >        ps i knew the amd was an intel clone on the 32-bit level; not
> >        sure about the 64-bit chips... .
> >

> Intel licensed the AMD64 instruction set and they call it Intel 64 in their
> chips.
>     Most free UNIX-like systems call the x86_64 releases AMD64 because thats
> the correct name for the instruction set.

        Well, I was just a bit behind the times; like four or five
        years.  But thanks to several wiki articles, that's resolved.
        Nutshell is that I just finished burning the bootonly.iso.
        Now, if the power holds and I get the 8.0-RC2 running on the
        Dell, there's hope.

        And for my next trick: I'm ordering a UPS.  It is only for the
        DNS server and firefall (pfSense).  I'll either refurb the
        current computer or buy a newer 32-bit for the firewall.  I'd
        like suggestions on which UPS to buy.  Figuring the Dell Duo
        and a standard Intel box, would 250w be a good enough SWAG?

        gary

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.31a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php