Thanks for the info! It works in my test case, but this spammer popped
again, and unfortunately, I still couldn't reveal the source:

The ps listing shows:

www            29488  5.7  0.2 14144  5360  ??  Ss    7:47AM  37:24.83
./jug.pl (perl5.8.8)

And the lsof -p 29488 -a -d cwd only shows:

COMMAND     PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
perl5.8.8 29488  www  cwd   VDIR   0,83      512    2 /

I don't understand how the cwd could be /, as there was no jug.pl
there, and the www user cannot write to the root.

Could there be another trick being employed? I'm actually a little
puzzled by the ps listing. It shows the interpreter at the end in
parentheses, but if I invoke a similarly-named script from the shell,
it lists it as "/usr/bin/perl ./jug.pl".

I also cannot find any traces of these perl scripts anywhere on the
machine, though my tests show that you can safely delete the script
after it is loaded by the interpreter.

*trying something...*

Okay, so I've written a little script to reproduce what I'm seeing:

#!/usr/bin/perl

$pid = fork();

if ($pid)
{
       unlink("test.pl");
       exit(0);
}
else
{
       chdir "/";
       print "Hello world\n";
       sleep 300;
}

This must be what is happening. When I do an lsof, I get:

COMMAND     PID    USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
perl5.8.8 95492 patrick  cwd   VDIR   0,83      512    2 /

And there's no trace left of my script because I unlink()ed it.

This seems like it's going to be awfully hard to track down. I've gone
through every access_log to see if I can see anything suspicious. So
far, nothing yet, but I guess I'll keep plugging away at it.

*sigh*

Patrick