It is *EXTREMELY* unlike the issue is with JavaScript because JS can not call on any kind of OS service (at least on the client side).... are you running a web server that allows files/arbitary text to be uploaded (I'll bet thats where it came from)... now if the virus effects your browser only then what you described is possible... in that case (I am assuming your using firefox here) erase the ".mozilla" directory in your home directory (this will reset ff to all defaults)

Henry Olyer wrote:
A FreeBSD machine I have has caught a scripting virus;  And I'd rather
not save what I must and rebuild it -- though if I have to I will of
course.

Anyone got any ideas to find/isolate the virus?

Please copy me directly, my email service is limited until I can fix this.