> I decided today it was time to install bind9 from ports and I am have
> having some issues I need help with.  Under 8.* I started BIND with the -u
> bind -g bind flags and a sockstat -4 showed named running as user bind.
> However, in 9.* I understand the -u bind flag is enough, but the server
> fails to start since it can open /var/run/named.pid. If I simply run the
> server with no -u flag, the server starts fine ( except denote below ).
> Although BIND is running in a jail() by itself, I'd still like for the
> server to run non-root.

First, I would check to see who owns the named.pid file. Sounds like you
are logged in as root and when you start it with no -u flag, there is no
issue. This may be because root is the only one with write access on the
file.

> 1. Mar 10 20:32:13 darken named[796]: couldn't add command channel
> 127.0.0.1#953: not found

This one has to do with configuring rndc keys (as far as I know). I began
this process of doing this, but gave up when I ran out of time. BIND will
continue to run normally, but you will not be able to use the rndc
controls for it. (At least I cant). There are many docs on configuring
this in google.

> 2. Mar 10 20:32:13 darken named[796]: dns_master_load:
> /usr/local/etc/namedb/192.168.0.in-addr.arpa.conf:1: extra input text
> Mar 10 20:32:13 darken named[796]: zone 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa/IN: loading
> master file /usr/local/etc/namedb/192.168.0.in-addr.arpa.conf: extra input
> text
>
> It is also important to note that I am using the same named.conf  and zone
> files I did under 8.*

Extract the conf files from 9 source, input your info manually and see if
that clears up these issues.

Steve