So I got Xorg working with Hal. Wahoo.
If I log in from a display manager I encounter some weird stuff.

If I am using xdm and I log out of the window manager and then attempt to shut
down the computer - by going to tty 0 and typing # halt -p - the disk syncs and
then the shutdown freezes.

If I am using wdm and I log out of the window manager and want to log back in,
it takes my username but does not clear the text field for me to type a
password.

There is only one regular user on the system.
FreeBSD 7.2 release.
Blackbox wm.
graphics: ATI mobility radeon Xpress 200m, 64MB - 128MB.
Display: 1280x800.
======
Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.
Matthew 24:28