A little sidenote:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:28:04 -0500, Roger <rno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason for wanting to re-install is because I only have on big
> slice that covers the
> entire harddrive and I don't want that. Primarily I would like to have
> /usr/local
> in a separate slice.

In most cases, you set up one slice covering the whole disk,
and then partition it, giving functional parts an own
partition, such as /, /var, /tmp, /usr (including or intendedly
excluding /usr/local) and /home. Those are partitions, not
slices.

As far as I know, there's no advantage in adding additional slices
to that concept.

A slice is a "DOS primary partition", while a partition is
just a subdivision (i. e. an own file system) inside a slice.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany