> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:50:03 +0200, Manolis Kiagias <son...@otenet.gr>
> wrote:
>> It seems however that some dedicated servers are setup using a single
>> slice and a single partition, i.e. having /usr /var and /tmp as
>> subdirectories in / instead of separate filesystems.
>
> Well, that's no problem per se, and it saves some "partition
> out of space" trouble when using UFS partitioning. You don't
> have this with ZFS. :-)
>
> Anyway, FreeBSD should keep all its partitions within one
> slice, or do I fail to see some hidden advantage of distributing
> the system into several slices?

<snip>

UFS:
I usually setup a ~10G slice for the OS [ad0s1] and in that slice I have a
/tmp /var /usr...and then use the rest of the disk for another slice
containing all my data and home directories - This way if I ever need
extra space for base, I can create symlinks, but makes reloading the base
OS easier/being able to change partitions around without worrying about
data [ad0s2]. If I plug this disk into another system, s1 can be
repartitioned for whatever and s2 still has all my data instead of having
to have the old partitions left [/var, /tmp, /usr] and can't combine them
into one huge one because your /home is on the same slice.

]Peter[