Matthias Apitz wrote:
El día Saturday, November 14, 2009 a las 07:51:17AM -0800, Chris escribió:

I have a somewhat flaky system. I would like to compile ports to packages multiple times and do a file comparison. ...

Hi Chris,

What is behind the idea to compile and pack a given port twice if there
are no errors during the build?

        matthias

While I don't think there will be differences I won't know until I do it. Call it reassurance.
To me it seems like a good stress test.

Also every time I update my ports tree I don't know what is going to break. I have a jail running all the time to recompile my ports as they are updated. I maintain between three to five different different ports/packages branches of different checkout dates.

The system is somewhat flaky and crashes sometimes. I play with a lot of stuff and am actually using Freebsd as my desktop. I am sure that most of my crashing is due to multiple jails and using nullfs and unionfs but that isn't relevent to my current post.

I'm also thinking of building a simple checksum database to track what actually changes and what my options were when I compiled it. It would allow me to better make regression decisions. I could also be free to delete packages and know if I recompile it later that it was the exact same package with the exact same options. Very simple script to do that. Also if say there was an option when compiling ports to produce files with specific time/dates it would be helpful in pinpointing which of my port branches
a specific file came from.

Chris