On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Jerry wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 21:18:36 -0700 (MST)
Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> replied:
It's also worth remembering that open source projects like xorg give
the users the rare privilege of being able to make a difference.  Test
code, provide hardware, document bugs or fixes, do or fund development.

If that were true, it might be worth noting. Unfortunately, it rarely
works like that.  I recently started using a Logitech wireless
mouse/keyboard. Of course the mouse did not work in "X", although it
performed fine outside of "X". After investing valuable time in
Googling for a solution, I ended up editing files for HAL and adding

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "OFF"
EndSection

to the 'xorg.conf' file.

It appears the thread has mutated from "it's unpleasant when X changes" to "why doesn't xorg support my hardware?" Which are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

<rant>
Honestly, that is not acceptable.

Evidently no one has been in the position to fix the problem. The opportunity is there, as I was saying above. Certainly there have been reports of problems with wireless keyboard/mouse of several brands; maybe a slightly different protocol with the wireless versions.

Whether the problem is with hal or xorg-server or the keyboard and mouse drivers or USB or some interaction, I don't know. You have the hardware; how about doing some research to help improve this? Just knowing what causes the problem would be a long way towards a real solution.

On every Windows and MAC system I tested, the combo works without this garbage. It just works. No drivers to install, unless I want the extended capabilities of the keyboard/mouse. Why does it have to be so freak-in difficult here.

Because the number of people using xorg are so small in relation to Windows and OS X.