On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:58:04 +0100, cpghost <cpgh...@cordula.ws> wrote:
> One pure electron a day keeps the plague[1] away...
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

I'm a doctor, not a resistor. So I couldn't resist, too.

        Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny
        particles called electrons, that you cannot see
        with the naked eye unless you have been drinking.

        [...]

        But Edison's greatest achievement came in 1879,
        when he invented the electric company.  Edison's
        design was a brilliant adaptation of the simple
        electrical circuit: the electric company sends
        electricity through a wire to a customer, then
        immediately gets the electricity back through
        another wire, then (this is the brilliant part)
        sends it right back to the customer again.

        This means that an electric company can sell a
        customer the same batch of electricity thousands
        of times a day and never get caught, since very
        few customers take the time to examine their
        electricity closely.

        In fact the last year any new electricity was
        generated in the United States was 1937; the
        electric companies have been merely re-selling it
        ever since, which is why they have so much free
        time to apply for rate increases.

        [...]

        Here is a simple experiment that will teach you an
        important electrical lesson: On a cool, dry day,
        scuff your feet along a carpet, then reach your
        hand into a friend's mouth and touch one of his
        dental fillings.  Did you notice how your friend
        twitched violently and cried out in pain?  This
        teaches us that electricity can be a very powerful
        force, but we must never use it to hurt others
        unless we need to learn an important electrical
        lesson.

        It also teaches us how an electrical circuit works.
        When you scuffed your feet, you picked up batches
        of "electrons", which are very small objects that
        carpet manufacturers weave into carpets so they will
        attract dirt.  The electrons travel through your
        bloodstream and collect in your finger, where they
        form a spark that leaps to your friend's filling,
        then travels down to his feet and back into the
        carpet, thus completing the circuit.

           -- Dave Barry: "The Taming Of The Screw"

And: Yes, I know it's OT, but it makes electricity problems
look easier because you can now easily understand them. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany