I've installed a BSD 7.0 system and I am getting the error "login: Audit record
was not committed" when I try to login. What would cause this? I am using a
custom process to do the BSD install onto USB boot disks, but we've been using
it for months and I've never seen this error when we've booted a system using
one of the boot sticks. I did a web search and the only hits I got were source
code references to this error; it's printed by login.c, which makes sense. If I
enter an invalid password I get the message "login: Audit Error: au_close() was
not committed", so it's clearly processing my input but something else is
causing the processing of the data to fail.

Another error is printed on the console just before the login prompt: "pid 94:
(fsck_ufs), uid 0: exited on signal 8", along with a duplicate of this error
but with pid 95. I don't know if this has anything to do with the subsequent
login error, but I bet it does. I looked up signal 8 and it appears to be
related to a floating point exception, which doesn't really make sense. It
implies though that perhaps the file system isn't clean, but I've checked on
another system and the USB file system is clean.

So I'm stumped. Does anyone know what's going on here?