On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:26:15PM -0500, Glen Barber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Randi Harper <ra...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:

        [save the whales]

            {slam}

> Is this really necessary?
>
> --
> Glen Barber

        long-story short, a friend who is a serious network guru kept
        insisting that my new server have a STATIC ip, not one supplied by
        DHCP.  ...So i forced my pfsense firewall to lock down the IP of the
        server-to-be [in services_dhcp.php (if memory serves)].  i mostly
        forgot about that static config, so the new computer failed to work
        correctly with what IP i was told to type in.

        aeound 03:43 it slammed into my mind that if i 'x' out the config
        on my pfsense box that i might be able to comply with my pal's
        instructions.  [[yeah, you can call him any number of names from X
        to Z, but the facts are they this guy has been right--consistantly--
        for the two years i've known him.]]

        since noon here, i have my new computer running the latest 7.2, it
        has a fixed IP, and i expect to have my services switched over by
        monday.   ---hope the power holds; autumn && seattle mean wind storms
        and power-outs, ... and my 1998 kayak (ns1.thought.org) has about three
        power-cycles left.

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.31a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php