Thanks

well this won't work on amd64 until Nvidia releases a driver. I was waiting for the amd64 driver to buy a new video card...

Sean Cavanaugh wrote:

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 00:28:19 -0500
From: pldro...@pldrouin.net
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: How painful is the nv driver supposed to be?

Hi,

I am using the nv xorg driver on 8.0 amd64 with a GeForce 6600 (CPU is an i7 overclocked at 4GHz) configured in 1920x1080. With that setup it takes about 2 seconds to maximize a window or to switch workspace in fluxbox. Is there a way to improve speed or this is all I can hope to get?

the default nv driver with xorg does not fully utilize the nvidia GPU.
install one of the nvidia drivers from /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver*
make sure you pick the one that still has support for your card in it as they
cull older cards from the newer drivers. judging by nvidia.coms driver lookup,
the highest driver that supports the GeForce 6 series was 191.07
also make sure to follow the extra instructions that you get after installing the driver
if i remember correctly, theres a line you add to /boot/loader.conf and you change the xorg.conf
file driver from "nv" to "nvidia"
-Sean