n dhert wrote:
> How can I see, in a running FreeBSD7.2 for each filsystem how many inodes
> are in use and what is the maximum?

df -i

> How can one raise the max number if inodes?

You'ld have to backup your data and then blow away the filesystem on that
partition and recreate it using different parameters to newfs(8).

However, it would be exceedingly unlikely for that to be necessary: you'ld
have to have a very large number of exceedingly small files to run out of
inodes before filling up your disk.

From newfs(8):

     -i bytes
             Specify the density of inodes in the file system.  The default is
             to create an inode for every (4 * frag-size) bytes of data space.
             If fewer inodes are desired, a larger number should be used; to
             create more inodes a smaller number should be given.  One inode
             is required for each distinct file, so this value effectively
             specifies the average file size on the file system.

Given that the default frag-size is 2048 bytes, this implies that the system
will not run out of inodes before filling the partition unless the average file
size is less than 8KiB. That would be pretty unusual.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard