On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Rolf Nielsen wrote:

Since I don't have Linux compat layer activated, and I have no need for it, I'd like to ask if anyone can suggest a native PDF viewer (I'm not fond of the idea of installing a compat layer for just one application). Currently I'm using GIMP to view PDF files, but since GIMP opens them either as several single pictures (one per page) or one picture with several layers (one layer per page), it gets a little hard to browse through the pages, especially with big documents, e.g. my camera manual.

I founed several apps among the ports, too many to test them all, so if anyone has ideas or can tell me what the pros and cons are for some of those apps, I'd greatly appreciate it.

evince is my choice for a reasonable compromise between size and features. It's similar to the older, more reasonable versions of Acrobat Reader.

If you print from evince, set your LANG environment variable beforehand. There is no easy way to set paper size, evince infers it from the LANG setting. It could really use a Preferences option, but instead wants to get all settings from GConf.

To make evince use Firefox3 for embedded URLs:

gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command "firefox3 %s"