Ian Fitzgerald wrote:
Recently upgraded (fresh install) FBSD 8, including MySql, Apache22, phpMyAdmin, KDE4 Gnome2.26 from DVD iso. Running ok as test server, but unusual error from added, complex CMS prompted me to re-install PHP5 and PHP5-extensions as pkg_add -r (using ports files from iso), then with no success, compiling them (using ports files from iso), with slightly different make config.

Now server does not respond, either to 'localhost' request on its browser, or specific address request from another machine on local network.

I assume re-compiling PHP would not clobber hosts or resolv.conf (they look ok).

I get: "[warn] (2)No such file or directory: Failed to enable the 'httpready' Accept Filter, and no new errors in /var/log/httpd-error.log" four times

Tried adding accf_http="YES" to /boot/loader.conf, and re-booting of course.

This is just a warning message and doesn't stop apache working or not.  Enabling
accf_http should give you a bit of a performance boost under heavy load and help
you withstand certain types of DoS attack, but it's not required.

Tried refreshing ports (inital re-compile attempt failed with make complaining that postgres-client had been marked invalid - when will someone fixit?), and re-compiling apache22 => no change.

ps -auxc: no httpd.

FF3 under Gnome on the machine fetches external pages, of course (using router DNS).

What else should I look at?

Try restarting httpd from the command line: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 restart

This will run a configtest and then try and start up apache.  Then check
that apache is still running: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 status

If apache has mysteriously disappeared and there are no messages in log files,
then it means apache crashed during the startup process soon after daemonising.
That's pretty diagnostic for loading a dynamic module that disagrees with it.

At a guess, and given that you've reinstalled all your php modules, I think you
may be being hit by the php module load order problem.  In that case, running
php from the command line will probably also segv on you.  This is something
that
has had quite a lot of attention on this list, but there isn't a really good
solution
yet, other than manually reordering the entries in
/usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini

Also, if you're running eAccelerator, make sure you recompile it at the same
time
you upgrade the main lang/php5 port: eAccelerator will cause Apache to crash if
you
try and run it against a different version of PHP than it was originally
compiled
for.

        Cheers,

        Matthew