On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:12:35AM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> > ok, I moved a step further. 'X -configure' is now successful.
> > All I had to do is to move the graphics card to another pci
> > slot. Perhaps where xvr600 was, is not a standard pci slot
> > at all? pgx64 worked fine there in the text mode, but not
> > in the graphics mode.
> >
> > So now I'm stopped with "Signal over range" message reported
> > by the monitor firmware (?).
> >
> > The card seems to be detected, the scan frequencies I put
> > are from the manufacturer's specs, but still something is wrong.
> >
> > I put conf and log files here:
> >
> > http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/freebsd/xorg.conf.new
> > http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/freebsd/Xorg.0.log
>
> Manually setting a single mode is probably the easiest:
>
> Section "Screen"
>       Identifier "Screen0"
>       Device     "Card0"
>       Monitor    "Monitor0"
>       DefaultDepth 24
>       SubSection "Display"
>               Viewport   0 0
>               Depth     24
>               Modes "1280x1024"
>       EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> That might be enough, or you might have to go to 1024x768.  You could
> limit the entries in the Monitor section to trick the card into picking
> a single reasonable mode, like VertRefresh 70, or HorizSync 30-50.
> (Assuming this is a CRT.  If it's an LCD, use VertRefresh 60.)

Warren, thank you, but this doesn't help. I've added:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        HorizSync       30-50
        VertRefresh     60
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "mach64"
        BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes   "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

This is an LCD monitor, and the manuf. specs state
        max res 1280x1024
        horizontal: 30-80
        vertical: 50-75

I tried modes down to 800x600 - no change.

I noticed also this error:

(EE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
(EE) MACH64(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit Failed

should I add device drm to the kernel?
Just to remind, this is sparc64.

> Incidentally, Radeon 7000 cards are available in standard PCI for $20 or
> so.  Not a great card, but quite an upgrade over a Mach64, and supported
> by a current driver.

wow.. you mean on sparc64? I didn't know.
If it'll work on sparc, this would be great. There
are many more radeon 7000 on offer than pgx64.

many thanks as always

anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht