The csup servers do have a rate-limiting feature on them. However, I
think it gives a different error message than that. "Operating not
permitted" makes it seem more like a networking issue on the local
machine. Can you ping the IP? Firewall blocking outgoing ports?

I pinged a few of the mirror sites to choose the fastest one, so, yes I can ping them.

I turned off PF temporarily to see if it could be a firewall problem. No difference.

I'm also having problems installing ports. I wanted to get vim installed while trying to figure out this port upgrade problem. Vim uses lots of files and a bunch of them downloaded when I typed 'make install clean', but then I ran into a batch that give an error message like below.

I can fetch the files manually, using wget (which installed with no problem), but I'm getting a lot of these problems, which means its going to take about 5 years to install all the ports I need.

I've never had this problem, before... weird.

-- John

=> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp1.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/gnome2/.
fetch: libxml2-2.7.3.tar.gz: local modification time does not match remote
=> Attempting to fetch from ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/pub/libxml/.
fetch: libxml2-2.7.3.tar.gz: local modification time does not match remote
=> Attempting to fetch from ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/libxml/.
fetch: libxml2-2.7.3.tar.gz: local modification time does not match remote
=> Attempting to fetch from ftp://xmlsoft.org/libxml2/.
fetch: libxml2-2.7.3.tar.gz: local modification time does not match remote
=> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp1.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/gnome2/.
fetch: libxml2-2.7.3.tar.gz: local modification time does not match remote
=> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
=> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/gnome2 and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/libxml2.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/libxml2.