Hello,

I have been wanting to put FreeBSD on my laptop for some time now. I backed
up all of my files to a separate HD. I burned 8.0-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso to a
DVD and installed it on my laptop, removing all partitions so FreeBSD is my
sole OS. I also used the FreeBSD boot manager. I have attempted a number of
different settings variations and installations. My problem is that FreeBSD
seems to install properly, yet I cannot get to a GUI. I have added all ports
and specifically checked the GNOME packages. When I attempt to run 'gdm', I
get returned:

** (gdm-binary:878): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to system bus: Failed to
connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

I am also very limited at the prompt, unable to use 'su' or 'sudo'. Logging
in as root does not fix the issue. My 'uname -a' results are as follows:

FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE  FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0: Sat Nov 21 15:48:17 UTC 2009
r...@almeida.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

SIDE NOTE:

After trying for a few hours to get my FreeBSD install to work properly, I
attempted a number of other OS installations; all of which failed.

Windows XP
-- Failed before attemting installation with a BSOD
-- STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
-- This seems to be tied to the fact that the XP installation cannot
recognize a SATA HD and therefore thinks it has nothing to install to.
(Typical Microsoft)

Ubuntu 7.04
-- After overcoming the ACPI heat issue, I was given a message stating that
my "display" was incompatible. This laptop is a tablet PC, so maybe this is
also the issue with the FreeBSD GUI?

Backtrack 3
-- .Fatal error occured - Data for Live CD not found. Are you using
unsupported SCSI?
-- Again, possibly the same issue as XP?

Knopppix 4
-- Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.

Both Backtrack and Knoppix threw errors while trying to use off CD, not
install.

I will deeply appreciate any help you can offer. I would very much like to
use FreeBSD but any OS at this point is appreciated. I am hoping I did not
brick my laptop in this process ...

--
Edward Lerner

Twitter : http://twitter.com/wkdown/