OK Thanks again, still having problems with setting the root password.

There is no my.cnf file

Matthew Seaman-2 wrote:

> jaymax wrote:
>
>> Post installation SNAFUS
>> ========================
>

>> [iv] /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root password ==>
>> ax# /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'xxxxxxxx'
>> /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
>> error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
>> ax# /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h ax.lall.com password xxxxxxxx
>> /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'ax.lall.com' failed
>> error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'ax.lall.com' (using password: NO)'
>> HOW can I setup root password ?
>
> If you're currently logged into ax.lall.com, then you definitely want
> to use '-h localhost' (or nothing, as that's the default).  If there is
> already a root password, obviously you need to give it.  Conversely, if
> you've got a password set in /root/.my.cnf or some other my.cnf file but
> this is a brand new mysql install with no root password yet, then you need
> to temporarily move that file aside: mysql doesn't let you in if you try
> and supply a password for a no-password account.
>
> I advise using mysql_secure_installation -- but you're still going to have
> to move aside any pre-existing .my.cnf files.  Also, as a general security
> thing, preferably don't allow root logins to mysql from anywhere other
> than
> localhost.

There was a v 6.2 install attempt but had to be rolled back. All files were
removed 'hopefully'. Version 5.5 was downloaded to a src directory but not
installed. A "find -f /* -name 'my.cnf' -print" search found nothing except
copies in the src directory of v 5.5 and those in the ports.

When the server is started with "/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe &"
I get the same responses as above re: setting the root password attempt

> /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h localhost password xxxxxxxx
> /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

When I attempt with a
"/usr/local/bin/mysql_secure_installation" start (after killing the mysql
safe start)
I get the following ==>

> In order to log into MySQL to secure it, we'll need the current
> password for the root user.  If you've just installed MySQL, and
> you haven't set the root password yet, the password will be blank,
> so you should just press enter here.
>
> Enter current password for root (enter for none):
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
> Enter current password for root (enter for none):
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
> Enter current password for root (enter for none):

So I obviously have the wrong approach, please advise.

Thanks!