On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 09:17:35 -0800 (PST) jaymax <jayma...@gmail.com>
articulated:

> I was frustrated by a failure to create a ROOT password and decided to do a
> clean reinstall
> Did a "make deinstall"  from the following ports
>
> [i]     /usr/ports/databases/mysql54-server
> [ii]     /usr/ports/databases/mysql54-client
> [iii]    /usr/ports/databases/mysql54-scripts
>
> Did a rm of the /etc/my.cnf file (There were no others in related or
> relevant areas)

Try this.

pkg_delete -dfv mysql*

That should delete all traces of MySQL

You might also want to backup the contents of the /var/db/mysql folder
also. In any case, delete the folder and it contents. While you are at
it, delete the files in "/usr/ports/distfiles" also.

Update the ports tree, and cd to the version of mysql you want to
install. Run "make config" to insure it is configured correctly.

Run; make install && make clean

Make sure that the correct entry is in the "/etc/rc.conf" file to enable
MySQL to start on boot. I think it is: mysql_enable="YES".

Either reboot or cd to the "/usr/local/etc/rc.d" directory and run the
mysql startup script. I believe "./mysql"  is correct. This should
create all of the necessary files and directories you need to initialise
MySQL.

--
Jerry
ges...@yahoo.com