Many believe FreeBSD is Unix (and many would say that it really is, in all respects but its name, however that isn't the issue here). Moreover, I've got the impression lots of people truly believe Linux is just another name for Unix. And I do know for a fact that there are people who even believe Unix is another name for Linux.

BSD is a UNIX like OS...... developed way back when by Berkley university in the US. Can't remember the dates but for that there's Google! In fact Wikipedia has a great tree diagram showing the origination of UNIX.

Anyhow UNIX was developed at the end of the 60s by Bell Labs who back then was part of AT&T in the US. But had many bugs and quirks and so a not-like-UNIX mode was developed according to my Cisco CCNA lecturer who was lecturing at university way before even then.

FreeBSD is now an offshoot of BSD and one of a few within the family tree but is it's own take on BSD.

With such ideas, I guess it's easy to assume FreeBSD is just another Linux distro. Isn't it time we try to correct this? I try to do my part in that respect, by explaining to anyone who says, "Oh, you're running Linux?" that there is a difference. And that the difference matters. It may not matter to them. But it does matter to me. And I think it matters to most FreeBSD users. And I also believe it actually matters to Linux users, at least the more serious ones.

Linux is just a kernel with lots of GPL and GNU software strapped to it developed by Linuz Torvalds back I'm sure it was 83 or perhaps was discussed back then. The first Linux distro to come out was back in ~93.

Just to add without going completely off topic; there are many UNIX-like OS's available today including: BSD, Solaris, Linux, AIX, HP-UX and one of yesteryear called IRIX developed by Silicon Graphics.

Back on to topic now ;)

First work out what you want to use; Linux or FreeBSD then after you have decided start to learn it as it is extremely different from the M$ world and if used in its most raw sense involves no graphical interface or point-click nonsense!

I would recommend using FreeBSD on old outdated h/w as the Linux kernel can be a bit heavy wrapped around a distro as vibrant as Fedora, or Debian and similar. That is without custom building kernels and packages specifically designed for the system in question. Although you would do this if using an embedded system as pointed out previously or if needing some very specific non-generic purpose.

Just remember now that you have entered into the UNIX world that Google is your only friend and although there are many people on various lists and forums who can help and assist, they will not be pleased or welcome someone who has failed to use the main basic rule of any thing. As if it can't be Googled it most likely 99.9% doesn't exist!!!

Regards,

Kaya