>> These dmesg lines are from another 7.2 machine and I am missing them
>> from the output of this newly upgraded machine:
>>
>> sc0: <System console> at flags 0x100 on isa0
>> sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>
>> vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
>>
>> Both devices are in the kernel. What could prevent them from binding?
>
> Is it maybe a newer system that has keyboard and mouse set to USB as a
> default which needs disabling in BIOS? I know a machine I just built I set
> the keyboard to "Legacy" to use the PS/2 port while the mouse stayed USB.
>
> -Mike

Thanks for your answer Mike. The system is actually an old Celeron on an
Intel i865 based mainboard so the hardware should be pretty well
supported I guess and after all - it did work with 7.0. The machine is
only used as a router so the lack of virtual terminals aren't critical
but I still would like to solve it. I will have the owner look for a
more recent BIOS and then I'll reinstall the GENERIC kernel before
filing a bug report. Here's a more verbose dmesg snippet that might give
someone a clue:

agp0: <Intel 82865 host to AGP bridge> on hostb0
agp0: allocating GATT for aperture of size 128M
vgapci0: <VGA-compatible display> mem
0xf8000000-0xf8ffffff,0xe0000000-0xefffffff,0xf9000000-0xf9ffffff irq 3
at device 0.0 on pci1
isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 31.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
sc: sc0 already exists; skipping it
vga: vga0 already exists; skipping it
isa_probe_children: disabling PnP devices
isa_probe_children: probing non-PnP devices
pmtimer0 on isa0
sc0: no video adapter found.
sc0: <System console> failed to probe on isa0
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> failed to probe on isa0
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
vt0: not probed (disabled)
isa_probe_children: probing PnP devices

What is that vt0 (disabled)? Is that related? pciconf reports this:

pc...@pci0:0:1:0:       class=0x060400 card=0x00000000 chip=0x25718086
rev=0x02 hdr=0x01
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '82865G/PE/P, 82848P PCI-to-AGP Bridge'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = PCI-PCI
is...@pci0:0:31:0:      class=0x060100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x24d08086
rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = PCI-ISA
vgap...@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x2034107d chip=0x022010de
rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Nvidia Corp'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

Googling on this turns up a lot of older posts with references to PnP
incompatibilities and ATA but I can't find any info that helps me with
syscons.

Regards
Morgan