Fbsd1 schrieb:
Christoph Kukulies wrote:
I installed FreeBSD 8.0 on an USB-stick and was able to boot it on my Desktop PC and install 8.0
from it.

Now I plugged the same stick into my Dell Inspiron 9400 and the USB stick (2GB) is not even listed in the F12 Bios boot menu.

Any clues?

--
Christoph

Older pc's have bios which do not have option to boot from USB stick.
I think that is so in your case. Check mfg website for bios update.
If not you are SOL. (shit outof luck)

I can boot USB sticks in general from that notebook/BIOS. That Dell 9400 isn't that old. Today I tried an another USB stick (16GB) an Ubuntu 9.04 boot image and it worked fine. I saw the boot device under F12 in the bootable device
menu.
It's definitely not the BIOS. Could be some partition problem (active partition?). Why is it part #4 btw, that FreeBSD resides in and not part #1 ? I followed some FreeBSD howto, if I'm not wrong, to bring the ISO to the USB stick. Think it was a tool from HP to write it to the stick.

--
Christoph