On 01/21/10 16:32, Henry Olyer wrote:
For example, the editor I use normally writes to /tmp -- I changed that,
making it slower, but in the event that someone takes my laptop I want to
sleep at night.

If you use a swap-backed memory drive (see http://man.freebsd.org/mdconfig) for /tmp and use geli to encrypt the swap, there would be no chance of recovery of your temporary files.

I've no problem letting some poor person make a windoz machine out of my
laptop -- but I don't want to share my work, my intellectual property.  (I
do research.)

So, I'm looking for a list of changes to make, hacks really, that will
further tighten up security.

You did not specify anything really exact. You already encrypt your on-disk data. Do you always use encrypted network protocols like ssh and https? Strong passwords? Adequate physical security? Up-to-date software?