On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:55:14AM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 24 January 2010 am 01:08:27 John wrote:
> > doing this on a new machine!  And I don't need any "migration"
> > storage, because, well, gosh - it's tcp, people!  ;)  I just
> > did the first transfer of home, and it went swell:
> >
> how did you handle the strange group IDs?

Have not done that yet.  My current best plan (which I'm not really
crazy about, but haven't come up with anything better) is to do
121 "find /home -uid ... -exec chown {} +" and 37
"find /home -gid ... -exec chgrp {} +" commands.  This is also called
"Let's modify every inode in the filesystem.  Twice."  Oh, well, the
ctimes are blown up by the migration anyway (as they really should be).
I have to be careful, if there are any IDs that are used on both
systems, but with different associations, to do the change in
the right order (sigh).  I could try to get really fancy and just
find the distinct combinations of "uid:gid" and do only one
"chown uid:gid" for each file, but, getting it done will be more
important than being pretty at some point.

Open to suggestions!
(I'd generate the commands via a script, of course.)

And, of course, there's the whole matter of migrating the passwords...

> > 10:56AM  up 492 days, 13:57, 2 users, load averages: 0.02,
> > 0.03, 0.00
>
> Isn't this normal for a FreeBSD machine running as a server?

It probably is, but I see so much of other servers running on
similar hardware with a certain other operating system that
have a reguluar 30-day scheduled reboot, it still delights me.
I just wanted to share my delight!

> > That's right!  Nearly 500 days!  And it was well over a two
> > hundred days before that, but we had a power outage that
> > outlasted the UPS.
>
> No diesel powered generator nearby?

No - though this system does "real work" - it is actually located
in my home.  It probably isn't unusual for data center machines,
except those that are on some sort of regular "uptick upgrade"
schedule.

> > 987 522 505 cpu context switches
>
> I have had to put the spacesin to be able to read it.
>
> I assume, the scheduler really works.

So it would seem!

--

John Lind