On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:27:48AM +0100, Leslie Jensen wrote:

> I'm trying to mount a floppy image following the instructions on:
>
> http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/freebsd/beginners/mdconfig_mount_images
>
> ____________________________________
>
> To mount a floppy image, create a virtual device, /dev/md0, for the
> floppy image.
>
> # mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /tmp/boot.flp -u 0
>
> ____________________________________
>
> I had to touch /tmp/boot.flp to make it work

That is strange. Is  /tmp/boot.flp an existing image? If so, what size is it?

Note that is you use touch on a non-existing file, it will create a file 0
bytes long! If you try to mount that, you'll get an error, because there is no
data to be read.

> Now mount the virtual device.
> #     mount /dev/mnt0 /mnt
>
> I believe there's a typo here should be /dev/md0

Yes.

> I get:
>
> mount /dev/md0 /mnt
> mount: /dev/md0 : Input/output error
>
> I have no idea what to do now!

If you want to _create_ a floppy image, you can use:

    dd if=/dev/zero bs=1k count=1440 of=boot.flp

Then use mdconfig to make an md device out of it. Of course you'll have to
create an msdos filesystem on it;

    newfs_msdos /dev/md0

After that you can mount it and fill it with whatever you like.