On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:08:14PM +0100, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
> hello, world\n
>
> I have a system with a handful of kernels I chose from with grub.
> Recently compiled 8-STABLE systems show strange printing behaviour.
> While a one year old 8.0-CURRENT #0 r185532 has no problem printing to
> my HP Laserjet 2300d (via cups and USB/ulpt0), newer systems and even
> 9-CURRENT print extremely slow, on the order of 1 page every 6 minutes.
> The printer's "Data" LED blinks sometimes erratically, sometimes is on
> for a few seconds, with intermittent periods of 1Hz blinking (which is
> the expected normal behavior).

For some reason, CUPS stopped working for me too, after upgrading
print/cups-base. Using a HP LaserJet 1320 (Postscript) attached
via ulpt0. Exactly the same symptoms.

As a workaround, I simply filter PDF files through
/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/pdftops
and send that to /dev/ulpt0 directly.

I have no idea how to debug this, because nothing shows in
the CUPS logs.

> So I'm wondering what causes this oddity. I've ruled out an issue
> with hald/dbus which recent systems use for xorg 7.4, by turning them
> off, rebooting and printing from the console--same slow printing.
>
> The cups log says it sent the file succesfully (/var/log/cups/access_log):
> localhost - - [29/Jan/2010:20:17:11 +0100] "POST /printers/LaserJet_2300d
> HTTP/1.1" 200 18530 Send-Document successful-ok
>
> I can't find anything obvious in my kernel config that might account
> for this behavior.

I don't think it is related to FreeBSD, because printing worked perfectly
only my system (FreeBSD/amd64 r200471) before updating cups-base, and
stopped working exactly after that (but printing directly to /dev/ulpt0
still works perfectly). It is probably a cups problem.

> It does not matter if the printer is on or off when the system
> starts.
>
> I've read about interrupt storms (when printing via lpt0), but vmstat -i
> looks sane AFAICT:
>
> $ vmstat -i
> interrupt                          total       rate
> irq16: vgapci0 ahc*               192947         62
> irq18: skc0 uhci2++                 3765          1
> irq19: fwohci0++                  383725        124
> irq23: uhci3 ehci1                  3700          1
> cpu0: timer                      6227448       2018
> irq256: hdac0                         92          0
> cpu1: timer                      6219346       2015
> Total                           13031023       4223
>
> Anyone seen something similar? What else can I try to debug this
> problem?
>
> Regards,
>
>       Jens
> --
> Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/
> SIGSIG -- signature too long (core dumped)

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/