After about a week of trying, I don't think sysinstall
will  install FreeBSD when used with mfsbsd. I launched mfsbsd
from a CDROM and it works fine. I also used dd to feed the
mfsboot.img file to the boot sector on the system's hard drive
and that also worked fine. mfsbsd doesn't appear to be the
problem.  Everything but sysinstall works as one would expect.

        Sysinstall may either be confused because the host is in
multi-user mode or it may be trying to protect what it thinks is
the system's boot drive from damage. It absolutely will not
write one byte to /dev/ad0 partitions even though it sees the
drive. the rest of sysinstall appears to be normal except for
its fear about writing to /dev/ad0sx.

        I will be very happy to be proven wrong, but I don't
know what else to do to sysinstall to get it to use that drive.

        It does work from the local console in single-user mode
from the CDROM. I greatly appreciate all the help and welcome
any new ideas, but it appears to be back to the drawing board
for remotely-done upgrades.

Martin McCormick