I am trying to build the GIMP on 8.0-STABLE but had a problem.
For what it's worth, I have these ports installed:

   gtk-1.2.10_21
   gtk-2.18.6_1

It is not clear to me why GIMP (or webkit-gtk2) depends on
having Gnome2 (gnome-config) installed (I use open-motif):

   checking for GSTREAMER... gnome-config: not found
   gnome-config: not found
   gnome-config: not found
   configure: error: Package requirements (gstreamer-0.10 >= 0.10
                     gstreamer-base-0.10
                     gstreamer-pbutils-0.10
                     gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10
                     gstreamer-video-0.10) were not met:

   No package 'gstreamer-pbutils-0.10' found
   No package 'gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10' found
   No package 'gstreamer-video-0.10' found

   Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GSTREAMER_CFLAGS
   and GSTREAMER_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

   ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
   Please run the gnomelogalyzer, available from
   "http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/gnomelogalyzer.sh";, which will diagnose the
   problem and suggest a solution. If - and only if - the gnomelogalyzer cannot
   solve the problem, report the build failure to the FreeBSD GNOME team at
   gn...@freebsd.org, and attach (a)
   "/usr/ports/www/webkit-gtk2/work/webkit-1.1.15.4/config.log", (b) the output
   of the failed make command, and (c) the gnomelogalyzer output. Also, it might
   be a good idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your
system
   (i.e. an `ls /var/db/pkg`). Put your attachment up on any website,
   copy-and-paste into http://freebsd-gnome.pastebin.com, or use send-pr(1) with
   the attachment. Try to avoid sending any attachments to the mailing list
   (gn...@freebsd.org), because attachments sent to FreeBSD mailing lists are
   usually discarded by the mailing list software.
   *** Error code 1

   Stop in /usr/ports/www/webkit-gtk2.
   *** Error code 1

   Stop in /usr/ports/www/webkit-gtk2.