Erik Trulsson wrote:
It very much depends on what hardware you have in the system.  Just
about every expansion card or I/O device will reserve some of the
address space for its own use. Some devices will need a lot of space - a graphics card with 256MB of RAM on it will use (at least) 256MB of
the address space for example.

This doesn't seem like a good idea that video memory is always mapped to system memory. What if one day graphics card gets 4GB RAM? Then we won't even be able to have 32-bit OS working with such card and in 64-bit OS 4GB of memory would be grossly wasted.

Yuri