On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 07:32:20 -0800 (PST), Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri
<wearab...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas <keram...@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>> NetBSD needs a *very* minimal set of POSIX tools to build, e.g. you can
>> get away with an sh(1) utility and a pretty basic make(1) tool.  They
>> have really done a magnificent job at constructing a build system that
>> can bootstrap itself from a tiny set of build tools.
>>
>> FreeBSD also has _some_ of the necessary build glue to do similar sort
>> of stuff, but AFAIK we only support cross-building from one FreeBSD
>> architecture to another FreeBSD architecture.  So you need to have at
>> least *some* version of FreeBSD to build another.
>
> How about these bench vs FreeBSD?!
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/~ad/50/img11.html
> http://www.netbsd.org/~ad/50/img13.html
> http://www.netbsd.org/~ad/50/img15.html

NetBSD 5.0 is indeed a major step forward for NetBSD.  This presentation
was what convinced me to give NetBSD a try back when 5.0 came out.  I
have been running it at home for a while now.

The only systems I have at home right now are FreeBSD and NetBSD.  There
are both nice systems; I like both of them and it's very nice to see how
BSD is definitely *not* dying by using the various BSDs and seeing how
they keep moving forward :-)