Chuck Swiger wrote:
Bill Moran wrote:
[ ... ]

I'm writing a web-interface to file-sharing. It's back-ended by a metadata
database and a filesystem based file store.

Sounds like a pretty classic application for WebDAV.

The question I need to answer is: how many files can a directory contain before the system determines that no more files should be
placed in it?

When you have more than a few thousand files per directory, that's the point where many platforms seem to slow down very significantly.

What's the size range and average size of an item?

Unfortunately, I can't know that at this time. I don't have any examples.

If you do something a little clever-- perhaps concat'ing small (< 8 K) items together (keeping track of this with your metadata DB), and only using seperate files for larger items-- you might be able to finesse the situation.

Might help. I'll consider it.

I guess I'm just going to have to do my own research.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies