Warren,

Thanks for your reply. Your answers are usually spot on but this is one of
those difficult times when the Windows and Linux guys at work laugh their asses
off at me for being such a FreeBSD die-hard. I thought it might be a faulty
cable or even the printer shot it's wad so I moved it over to a Windows Vista
machine and poof, 15 seconds later it had found it, installed the correct
driver and printed two pages for me.

I tried your method below and even though I changed "x" attribute all I got was
the following in the /var/log/lpd-errs file:

Feb 26 11:30:29 FreeBSD1 lpd[1413]: lp: cannot
execv(/usr/local/libexec/ps2pcl): Exec format error
Feb 26 11:30:29 FreeBSD1 lpd[1412]: lp: job could not be printed
(cfA000FreeBSD1.flgmsi.com)

So I added the standard #!/bin/sh line to the beginning of the ps2pcl file and
nothing printed, not even error messages about what happened. And that seems to
be what's going on here. I also tried the standard ifhp filter file shown in
the handbook and switched the device from DJ500 to hl1250. This is the gs
driver that worked before with the apsfilter method when the printer was on
lpt0: The queue shows it's empty with no jobs waiting and the log files are
void of any evidence of what happened to the job. The printer sits there as if
nothing happened.

I understand these are difficult topics to overcome with FreeBSD as the docs
are not always in synch with the OS. But just like before when I had trouble
getting this laser printer to work under lpd until I found apsfilter it was
difficult. Once I had that method down it was easy to setup again. It's got to
be something simple here.

Thanks again for the advice. If you think of anything else please pass it on.
In the meantime I'm still doing google and yahoo searches and will try again
with the #freebsd channel.