I have 4 virtual machines. They have exactly the same settings, except port numbers. Only one is doing this. Writes messages to syslog like:

Feb 27 11:06:32 vm04 transmission-daemon: Couldn't create socket: Protocol not supported (fdlimit.c:642) Feb 27 11:09:20 vm04 transmission-daemon: Couldn't create socket: Protocol not supported (fdlimit.c:642)
Feb 27 11:09:57 vm04 last message repeated 11 times
Feb 27 11:13:25 vm04 transmission-daemon: Couldn't create socket: Protocol not supported (fdlimit.c:642)

and also the rpc part is not reachable. Usually when I try to connect to the rpc port of transmission-daemon, I get "connection timed out" or "connection reset by peer" messages. But sometimes (rarely) it works.

Some more information:

vm04# uname -a
FreeBSD vm04 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #2: Wed Nov 18 08:50:04 CET 2009 gand...@vm04:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DARKSUN amd64
vm04# sysctl kern.maxfiles
kern.maxfiles: 12328
vm04# sysctl kern.openfiles
kern.openfiles: 784

File uploads/downloads work as expected. Just I cannot monitor them, cannot add new files, remove old ones etc. because the RPC interface is not available.

Where should I look for the problem?

Thanks

   Laszlo