On 2010-03-01 17:49, Polytropon wrote:
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 10:25:48 +0100, Leslie Jensen<les...@eskk.nu>  wrote:
On a dualboot system I've made some space available that I want to make
a freebsd slice of.
[...]
Any suggestions on how to solve this?

I would suggest to use sysinstall oder sade for this task,
this is because I'm lazy. :-)

In the slice editor, you create a slice covering the space
you made free, or, if neccessary, you delete obsolete slices
prior to creating a new one.

In the label editor, you select the new slice (e. g. ad4s4)
and create a partition covering the whole slice. You set
the options "UFS2+S Y" (which means to use UFS2 file system
plus soft updates, and "yes" to newfs, so the partition will
be formatted), and set a mountpoint that you have already
created (e. g. /data).

Finally you confirm the settings and write them to the disk.
At this screen:

                         FreeBSD Disklabel Editor

Disk: ad4       Partition name: ad4s4   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)
Disk: ad4       Partition name: ad4s3   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)

Part      Mount          Size Newfs   Part      Mount          Size Newfs
----      -----          ---- -----   ----      -----          ---- -----
ad4s4d    /data       30866MB UFS2+S Y
ad4s3a    <none>       1024MB *
ad4s3b    swap         4096MB SWAP
ad4s3d    <none>       2048MB *
ad4s3e    <none>       4096MB *
ad4s3f    <none>      20480MB *
ad4s3g    <none>      28125MB *

The following commands are valid here (upper or lower case):
C = Create        D = Delete   M = Mount pt.            W = Write
N = Newfs Opts    Q = Finish   S = Toggle SoftUpdates   Z = Custom Newfs
T = Toggle Newfs  U = Undo     A = Auto Defaults        R = Delete+Merge

Use F1 or ? to get more help, arrow keys to select.

Unfortunately at this point when I choose W to write the changes I get the following error:

Unable to add /dev/ad4s3b as a swap device: the device is busy

This is the existing swap partition so I do not quite understand why I get this error

Then I choose OK and then I get:
Error mounting /dev/ad4s4d on /data : No such file or directory

This should work fine.

Of course, you can do the same using the command line tools,
in the same order:
        1. create new slice,
        2. create new partition inside slice,
        3. format the partition, and finally