On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 12:15:37 +0100, "C. P. Ghost" <cpgh...@cordula.ws> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Polytropon <free...@edvax.de> wrote:
> > If they don't want to make one, there's no way to convince
> > them. Since the majority of free and standardized operating
> > systems isn't oriented at market share, there is no reason
> > for Adobe to follow a crying "Please!" :-)
>
> There is only one way to convince them: through legislation!

Legislation won't influence economy - it's the other way
round. Sadly.

On a free market, the masses dictate what will happen. And
if the masses don't WANT to be free, their freedom will be
taken off them. Freedom of choice? No, you better go with
what we provide you, because that's the best for you. And
now shut up and buy our crap! :-)

> You may live in a world of bliss where you can access your online
> bank via standardized HTML, where you can fill in your IRS (or
> equivalent) forms, various applications etc. without Flash, but
> many parts of the world are a lot more dependent on Flash.

In the context you've mentioned, I would have thought of
Java in the first place, not "Flash". And I know that there
are whole "branches of economy" that are trapped in the
"Flash" problem - once you're in, you're convinced that
you can't get out. (There are other problems like this.)

As a pure private person, I can be lucky not to depend
on "Flash", and not have to be told that I'm using the
"wrong" operating system. I know that not everyone is
that lucky.

> Of course, one can always send complaints to those banks and
> public services who use Flash-only interfaces, but those complaints
> usually get ignored and thrown in the grey dumpster. If you try to
> escalate your complaint, the letter goes from the grey into the red
> dumpster, but you're still effectively locked out.

Yes.

> That's the problem with near-monopolies of proprietary formats:
> sometimes you can't escape them and have to resort to tricks
> (like emulations etc...) to make them work.

I agree, but I'd like to emphasize that those "tricks"
are always a good chance for migration, such as I have
predicted, seen, experienced and done it with OpenOffice.
The growing interest in heterogenous IT environments
where interoperability is important will help to make
the "decision carriers" aware of how to decide: Go with
open standards and continue work, or stick with proprietary
and closed products and have a surprise from time to
time (such as "We can't open our documents anymore!"
or "This has to be rewritten!") If you work with standards,
then interoperability, compatibility and transition is
no big deal.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany