Bogdan Webb wrote:
Hello everyone!

First of all i would like to apologize to anyone who finds my appeal a lazy
man's choice, actually it's indeed lazy but it's the best way to get an
answer from a valid source. My problem is a potential DOS/DDOS... i know a
forever talked about issue... i've already searched the freebsd's mailing
lists and found some mitigation techniques, to bad that google ain't that
familiar with FreeBSD, and searchin' for guides is a pain... I recall
finding a mitigation technique that involved bandwidth shaping and other ...
I'm using a FreeBSD 7.2-p7 with ipfw and upon testing the rules in those
guides it alerted me that bandwidth modules weren't included in the bsd's
kernel... Anyway could anyone provide me with a good BSD walk trough for DOS

kldload dummynet, see loader.conf(5)

mitigation and if needed kernel modules and kernel module integration, mabe
other firewall (but with extended howto..) ... (basically anything regarded
to floods)

As you probably guess, a) this is a complex problem because one man's DOS is another's regular traffic - it's complex even to detect something like that, and b) most of the general solutions are not platform-specific but can apply to any operating system, so you can learn it from many sources.

First, you need to define what your outgoing network connection is (e.g. "10 mbit/s") and then see what kinds of tradeoffs you are prepared to make to protect yourself.

The general advice is:
        - read ipfw(5), especially sections on dummynet and the "limit" rule
        - study software like http://codee.pl/cband.html