Leslie Jensen wrote:

I'm on a 8.0-RELEASE-p2 system.

Actually after more testing I found out that the line

ifconfig_iwn0="ether 00:16:ea:61:01:e8"

in my rc.conf is the culprit. If I comment it out the system will start but only with the wired interface working.

If you don't comment the line it causes a kernel panic?
If that's the case, you should report it to n...@. If you
could include a backtrace of the panic, it would be most helpful.

I have if_lagg_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf

and the following in /etc/rc.conf

wpa_supplicant_enable="YES"
ifconfig_em0="up"
# ifconfig_iwn0="ether 00:16:ea:61:01:e8"
wlans_iwn0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport em0 laggport wlan0 DHCP"

/Leslie

hm, what you do really matches the process described in the handbook.
It should work, please report it.

Nikos