Erik Norgaard wrote:
Hi:

I have a dual boot Windows/FreeBSD which I use for work, I just tried today to create a virtual machine with vmware on windows to start up the installed FreeBSD.

This is possible, I've run such a setup for a long time. But you don't say which versions of the products you are using.

This works except for three problems:

- The disk device is renamed, I suppose I can just dublicate the entries in the fstab, the devices not found won't be mounted, I'll get an error but problem solved?

As others said, use glabel or UFS labels (tunefs -L).

- I can't see the network devices from vmware

You can configure both cards (the real and the emulated one) in /etc/rc.conf and the one that's active will be used on boot.

- I can't start xwindows, no monitor is found

You can either use VESA or the VMWare specific driver for the virtual machine. Look into /usr/ports/x11-drivers. You will need to keep two configurations (xorg.conf) - one for the "real" and one for the emulated video card, and manually switch them.

You don't specifically need it but you can also look at /usr/ports/emulators/open-vm-tools.