On 3/17/10, Антон Клесс <antoniok....@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is what I suspected for.
>
> What is the most safe way to upgrade it, remembering that this is production
> server and I have to keep it working properly?
>
> 6.2-RC1 -> 6.2 RELEASE -> 7.2 RELEASE -> 8.0 RELEASE, or somehow in this
> style?

<snip>

Honestly, if a system is going to go through that large of a change,
here's what I'd recommend.  First scenario is the quickest running,
then continue with the second to keep it up-to-date

Since *ALL* configuration of base and ports is done by /etc and
/usr/local/etc, back up those two directories to a tarball.  they're
all text files so it should compress very well.  Note the packages
currently on your system with a simple pkg_info.  This gets you a
prime data set that can restore 99%+ functionality if used.

Scenario 1:
  pkg_info >/root/pkg_info.txt
  tar -cPpzf /root/62rc1-config.tgz /etc /usr/local/etc /root/pkg_info.txt
  ** keep this /root/62rc1-config.tgz archive in a safe 2 spots.  2 spots.

  fresh install of 8.0R on the box.
  extract, at minimum, the /etc entries from the tarball kept safely
away from the box
  for each package listed in pkg_info.txt, install from packages that
package (just the QUICK way to bring a box to a usable state)
  extract the /usr/local/etc from the tarball.  **TRY** to restart
your services.

The reason I state 'try' is that config files may have changed from a
package version a.b to x.y, so you may need to tweak your config files
to match the current package.

Now that you have a live box again, able to serve requests, it's time
to keep it maintained.

Scenario 2:
  install portaudit
  run portaudit, fix any vulnerabilities
  ** at this time, your system is safe from most vulnerabilities
  run your favorite port management software to update the rest of the
ports who do not have vulnerability advisories.

I've used this tactic before, works well and WILL be faster than you
updating your system from 6.2 to 6.4 to 7.2 to 8.0

Let me know if you have questions.

--TJ