--On Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:49:02 -0600 Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Paul Schmehl wrote:

I recently upgraded from FreeBSD 7.2 STABLE to 8.0 STABLE.  I also upgraded
from KDE3 to KDE4 and rebuilt all my ports.  Everything seems to work fine
except the mouse.  There is an irritating delay that I can't seem to get rid
of.  For example, if I mouse to the address line in Firefox and begin typing
in a url, nothing happens until I move the mouse.  Then, suddenly, what I
typed will appear in the address bar.

If I'm working in a shell, for example running portupgrade, nothing happens
until I move the mouse.  Then suddenly portupgrade will start working.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior?  Have any idea what the cause might
be  or where to look to troubleshoot the issue?

Do you have an AllowEmptyInput line in xorg.conf?  If so, remove it.

If you need to disable HAL input device detection, use
   Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"

Perfect!  That was the answer.  Thanks, Warren.  As usual you are quite helpful.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst