How valuable is your data?

I recommend you make an offline backup. There's a lot of steps in your
procedure which introduce room for error. You could perhaps disconnect
one of the hard drive's data cable (same thing). Also, make a backup
copy of your geom meta data somewhere.

Other than that, your procedure sounds like it should work. Though,
I've never tried it. I do recall, that when updating from 6.2-RELEASE
to 8-RELEASE, the geom meta data was automatically updated. I'm not
sure if there is any change between Release and Stable, though. I'm
also not sure if it was a backward incompatible change, as I never
went back to 6.2. Just something to be aware of.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe someone else knows more.
-Modulok-